Re: Query regarding alloc_chrdev_region()

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 11:56:28AM +0530, Rajat Jain wrote:

> >> So the above is actually possible?
> >
> >Yes, once you have a major number, you can separate out the minor
> >numbers how ever you wish to.
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> Ok, I understand that we can get a major number from the kernel and
> split it into a range of minor numbers.
>
> But does alloc_chrdev_region() reuse the major numbers in such a way?
>
> In other words, is the following scenario possible:
>
> Driver 1
> ======
> alloc_chrdev_region(10 minor nos required)
> -> receives major 150 (minor 0-9)
>
> Driver 2
> ======
> alloc_chrdev_region(20 minor nos required)
> -> receives major 150 (minor 10-29)

If you look at the code in fs/char_dev.c, this can not happen right now,
however, that could change in the future if we start to see a lot of
different drivers all want dynamic numbers.

In short, don't count on the fact that you will always get a different
major number, it is not guaranteed, and in fact, your driver should
never care about such a thing.

And also userspace doesn't care either, udev handles all of that logic
for you automatically.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h
-