Re: How to let INITRAMFS continue as root filesystem?

On 3/16/07, Rajat Jain <rajat.noida.india@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am using Linux kernel 2.6.15 on a MIPS embedded box. I am booting up
successfully using an initramfs compressed cpio archieve as my root,
but only after MANUALLY COMMENTING the call to prepare_namespace() in
init/main.c:init().

I referred to the following text in Documentation/early-userspace/README:

c) using initramfs.  The call to prepare_namespace() must be skipped.
   This means that a binary must do all the work.  Said binary can be stored
   into initramfs <...snip...>.  It must be called "/init".  This binary
   is responsible to do all the things prepare_namespace() would do.

  <...snip...>, the /init binary will only run if it
   comes via an initramfs cpio archive.  If this is not the case,
   init/main.c:init() will run prepare_namespace() to mount the final root
   and exec one of the predefined init binaries.

I understand that /init in initramfs is suuposed to mount the real
root, but in my case, I don't want to mount any other real root - I
just want the initramfs to remain the root.

1) Is there any command line option (like root=/dev/ram0 as in case of
initrd) to let the initramfs continue as the root file system?

2) The above README text suggests that the call to prepare_namespace()
will automatically be skipped if /init (in initramfs) mounts a real
root. Can somebody please point out in code how / where this is done?

OOPS ... found it! It was right there before my eyes ....its done int
init(). got the answer to my query no 2, however, my query 1 is still
open.

Thanks,

Rajat
-