Re: not getting command prompt at the console

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 03:19:10PM +0530, Rajat Jain wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just finished porting linux kernel 2.6.15 to a MIPS based board. The
> board now boots up beautifully ... and here is the console log:

[...]

> Next, I expected to see a command prompt which never comes. At this
> point if I debug, I find the processor executing the idle process.
>
> I am successfully hable to telnet to the board and fire whatever
> commands I want though. How do I bring the prompt to the serial
> console?

Run a getty on the serial device (I suppose you're using a serial
port).

> My root FS seems OK since the same root FS is working for the same
> board for an ancient kernel (2.4.20)

Could be that the serial driver changed or that you forgot to compile a
driver for the serial device.

Erik

--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery