connecting to the X-desktop with vnc

I installed the vnc suite of tools (both on the remote server, as well as the local client) where both machines run ubuntu-linux. I started the vncserver on the server using vncserver which gives:

$ vncserver

New 'bombur:1 (karthik)' desktop is bombur:1

Starting applications specified in /home/karthik/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/karthik/.vnc/bombur:1.log

I am able to connect from the client side using:
$ vncviewer bombur:1

This however opens up an xterm and is not the desktop that is running on bombur. I want to see the X-desktop that is running on the server. How do I go about doing this?

Both client and server run xorg as the Xserver. Please let me know if more information is needed to help (such as kernels/xorg versions/vnc versions running on client/server).

Thanks in advance,

-K

-