"This Pgm Does Not Run In DOS Mode" ???

Greetings: More and more I'm getting the Subject report or something
like, "This Pgm Requires Windows," from software bundled with
hardware devices that work with Linux but need to be diagnosed or
setup with the vendors S/W.. The latest is trying to flash a USR
Sportster firmware from X2 to V90. The older s/w used to work from
Dos, that I've done many times with USR Courier's..

I have DRDos7.03, FreeDos and MSDos7.1 that used to work but no longer
it seems.. Can I get some suggestions how to solve this increasingly
worse problem?

I know about Wine, and have played with it, but it's huge for
something that could be simple and I don't have it on any machine all
the time.. I have no machines with MSWindows either, therefore this
query..

Perhaps there is no easy way like a Dos program that might work
emulating Windows simply??

Just thought I'd ask.. TIA.. (We run various versions of Slackware
here, with kernels except the very latest.)

--

    Hal.
.