Re: Torrent and it's clients??

Hal wrote:

Stumbled on torrentreactor.net and became quite curious.. Many
available clients but I selected Azureus; reading two tutorials and
one FAQ about it..

With our puny dial up lines averaging 3.0kBs, large files would be a
huge problem so I tried two 50mB files first and was able to d/l them
successfully, on line from 2100E to 0700E the following day with a
couple stops and starts, resuming the next day, etc..

Flushed with pride I tried two small files, 3mB and 9mB and the
bottom dropped out of it.. The d/l started at a typical 3.0kBs then
after half the first file it went to zero and stayed there for the
next 8 hours... What happened??  Can I presume that one of the
servers was down or extremely busy, if I'm reading how it works??

In all cases I note the report that the tracker is OK and NAT OK and
the azureus smiley is green.. Top reports about 40% cpu usage.. 380mB
RAM and no swap used, if that means anything..

I don't completely understand the concept of "seeds" and "peers," so
am trying to learn more about that..

I've, more or less, concluded that wide band would not help with that
system, much like a vehicle capable of 180MPH on a Calfornia thruway
averaging 5MPH.. <grin>

Maybe I'm way over my head; again... TIA.. Oh yes, using Slack10.1,
2.4.29 on that machine, and a USR Sportster V90 internal modem..
Hi, Hal:

I use Azureus also.  I use it on my Linux and Windoze workstations.
When you download the torrent and start a download, you are a
'peer'.  When you have the entire 'file' and you stay active, you are
a 'seed'.  There must be either of two situations to complete a d/l:
At least one 'seed' or
all the pieces of the entire file must have been accumulated among
the active 'peers'.

I choose available downloads with the number of most (active) 'seeds'.
I try to stay active as a 'seed' until I have uploaded 2x to 3x
the size of the downloaded file.  Though, I have a cable modem and can
get 4-5 MB/sec downloads. :-)

O,BTW, I've been upgrading some of my workstations to Slackware 11.0.
I obtained the 11.0 .iso CDs and DVD via BitTorrent. ;-)

I'll probably keep these active for a week or so at a resonable upload rate.

-