smtp vs sendmail query

I think I'm finally ready to abandon Pine as my e-mail client and to start using Mutt. I thought of doing this a few years ago, but looking over Mutt documentation and config files left me bewildered. I'm sure I will still be confused about some of the program's workings, but it seems, after 4 years or so of using and admin'ing my Linux system(s), I have good enough grasp of the program's basics and related e-mail workings now that I'm ready to give it a serious go. This switch is also partly precipitated by certain ways in which Pine has been failing me. Despite what I've said above, the present message is not a Mutt-specific query: I'll probably be directing those to the Mutt user list. What I'm wondering about is something more fundamental about e-mail technology.

One of the things that kept me from using Mutt previously was the fact that it does not do smtp, but rather apparently relies on other programs such as sendmail for passing mail to servers that in turn pass it to other servers and eventually to recipients. I don't care how stupid I might sound to the initiated in saying this, but for the technically-challenged such as myself, having an extra layer of program activity between the e-mail client and the outgoing server is confusing: it's just another set of configuration files to edit and keep current, and another place to look for errors should problems arise. At the same time, I suppose there are good reasons for having a separate program to do mail passing to outgoing servers. The most sensible reason I can think of is that e-mailing is often done in an institutional environment, one that has a machine on its network dedicated to mailing functions. I have no experience of working in such an environment, so I'm guessing at this, but that seems like it could provide a sensible explanation for the separation between e-mail client and outgoing mail server.

Anyway, Pine does do smtp: you enter info about your smtp server in its config file, and away you go with sending out your mail. Mutt, as I understand it "will never do smtp" (quotation from a Mutt information site I haven't checked for a couple years but which I assume to reflect the current state of affairs). I will thus, I assume, need to look into getting and setting up a program to interact with the smtp server I will be sending mail through. Sendmail is one I recall reading about: can anyone supply names of, and recommendations about, others? I want the simplest possible program for this one-user (Debian) machine.

Finally, can anyone enlighten me as to why a program like Mutt--which is actually the only e-mail client I know of that won't interact with smtp servers--will not do smtp? Is it for puristic reasons, i.e., because it would somehow contaminate the program's perceived function by introducing extra functionality? I.e., a line in the sand against feature-creep? Could it be for some sort of security reasons?

Sorry for the long message. Input will be appreciated.

Thanks, James

PS Recommendations for other text-mode e-mail clients would also be appreciated.
-