Re: Linux Startup Issues

Jesse Castleberry wrote:
I am running Debian Linux, and every time I have to reboot, it tries to
start the Gnome graphical interface.  There's always an error, "I cannot
start the X server (your graphical interface).  It is likely that it is not
set up correctly.  Would you like to view the server output to diagnose the
problem?".  When I say yes, it appears that the problem is "no screens
found".  I tried editing the XF86Config-4 file, but I have no idea what to
look for, or what to change.  I also tried running the XFreeConfig program,
but while testing, it gets to a certain video mode, and freezes up.

I tried an "apt-get install XFree86", but it tells me that it can't find
XFree86.

Any idea what I need to do to get this fixed?

Sorry I did not see this sooner.

If you're getting this message, then the package is already installed, but it is not configured correctly for your hardware. To run the script that lets you fix this, run (as root):

	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

You will still need to know enough about your hardware to answer the questions correctly. If you want help with this part, you're going to have to tell us about the details of your system ... but "no screens found" *often* means that the combinations of resolution (HxW) plus color depth (bpp) you've selected are inconsistent with the amount of video RAM you have available. If that's what your underlying problem is, try choosing 640x480x8bpp and see if that works. If it does, you can then try again, moving to more and more demanding settings until you hit your memory limit. (But this is only a guess; for real help, you need to give us details.)

-