Re: /dev/mem contains physical memory addresses?

On 7/6/06, Daniel Rodrick <daniel.rodrick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi list,

I read that the /dev/mem represents the memory of the system.

1) Does that mean I can if start reading from /dev/mem, I can read any
portion of the memory?

2) If I read at offset "n" in the file /dev/mem, would I be reading
contents of the PHYSICAL memory address "n", or the VIRTUAL memory
addtress "n"?

You'll be accessing only PHYSICAL since VIRTUAL addresses are not
unique and global. But, its possible that the physical memory that
you're accessing is a part of the virtual address space of some user
program running in the system.

Jinesh.
-