"Modern" Printers??

Greetings: A neighbour gave me a HP LaserJet 4L printer and an extra
toner cart.. Heretofore I've had nothing but impact printers, not
knowing what I was going to get into with this machine.. (I've been
helping him with some hardware problems.)

It does work sending plain text to the machine as long as I use
'todos' to add the required carriage return.. However, I thought I'd
hit the Web and get the proper __escape__ commands... Wow!!! That
word isn't even used anymore it seems..

A2PS, Enscript, PPD files, Foomatic, etc; all I want or need to do is
set the margins, font pitch and font type.. I see nothing listed, so
far, that addresses such "simple" things..

The machine uses the PCL5E command set but, apparently, this is not
the same animal as the old escape codes.. No actual manual available;
of course. :^(..

Will my learning curve ever flatten?? TIA and appreciate any
suggestions or comments..

--

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV/US - Slackware GNU/Linux 10.1   (2.4.29)
.