Re: Symlink to Modem Vanishes

Thanks!

chuck@xxxxxxxx said:
> Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.6 and put
>  ls -l /dev/modem [> /home/modem.txt]
>  ls -l /dev/ttyS0     [> /home/ttyS0.txt] immediately in front of
>  'reboot' and 'halt' to see if it is still there immediately before.

It does not work. When rebooting or halting it says 'read file system only'
when it reaches those lines.

Anyhow symlink /dev/modem is removed when booting or halting.

chuck@xxxxxxxx said:
> put "ln -s /dev/modem /dev/ttyS0" at the bottom of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
> (did ^      ^ I get that right?)

no, it's the other way around ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem. Me too, I get it
always wrong the first time around.

I had put it there alrady.

Now

david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx said: w/o copying the list

> This sounds like it may be a udev problem. Udev dynamically generates device
> nodes (/dev/###), and may be missing something. When you manually create a
> node, the next time you boot, it overwrites what you created. You have to
> setup udev to create the correct link.

> If this computer is more than a year old, it's likely that you updated from
> devfs to udev, perhaps without even knowing it (if your system does automatic
>  updates.) Most of the problems I've seen with udev are on systems that have
> been updated from devfs to udev.

> I'm not a Slack user , but there's good reading on udev at the link below,
> just ignore the Gentoo specific stuff, and perhaps look for something similar
>  for Slack. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml

> And on writing udev rules here: http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.
> html

Guess he is right and the stuff he recommends is a little heavy for me. When
booting I see that udev is started.

Regards

--
Peter