Fedora core 4 and Totem Media Player??

Greetings am in trouble again researching media playing..

Fedora core 4, default desktop install that includes the totem media
player launchable from one of the pull down menus..

Plays a selected known good avi file/s/ to test and the screen looks
like a fractal display with coloured lights and circular swatches of
colour that resembles a circular saw... (Audio is fine)

The docs say that totem is a front end for xine but I don't see xine
anywhere in the apps... A Web lookup said to use totem-xine, but
that's not in evidence either in the installation or installation
DVD... I can only conclude that xine is included with the default
totem package.. Nothing I do seems to change anything..

I invoked totem from a terminal command line and got the following
report that I don't understand.. Running that started the viewing
window and ran the avi file just like a mouse click:

(totem:4011): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:1719: signal
** `got-redirect' is invalid for instance `0x9b84e90'
 Message: don't ** know how to handle EMPTY

I found several sites on the web with a totem version earlier than
the one bundled, all for Fedora core 3, not 4...

I invoked ldd totem and found no missing dependencies... I'm stuck..
<g>

Any suggestions or words of wisdom?? TIA.. (I was so happy with CLI
for so many years.) <grin>

--

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV/US - Slackware GNU/Linux 10.1   (2.4.29)
.