Re: Should ICMP echo responses be 'bound to the interface' of the incoming ICMP echo request?

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, andrei radulescu-banu wrote:

So let me rephrase my question then. Say that I want to add a sysctl to the interface, to put it in a mode where ICMP responses go out of the same interface where the request came in. By default, the interface would keep the current behavior, where the ICMP responses simply choose the longest match route irrespective of the interface. I'm not too concerned with the mechanics of implementing the sysctl - that is pretty much cut and paste code. But where I am stuck is - I can't understand how to pass interface information in the ip_route_output_key() flow parameter.

Don't you want to source-route the packets out the correct interface, regardless how the packet was generated?

Instead of keeping track of where the packet came in, make sure any packets going out uses the routing table for the interface of the src IP address of the packet? Sounds like a more generic solution.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx