Re: How to extract IPv6 RAs?

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 01:26:48PM +0200, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
> Do you have insights on how windows is handling the case with RA-flag
> other/managed set in the response?

Some of the windows boxes in our lab, where there is no RA present*,
Solicit periodically.  They do not actually reach a long fallback, but
rather they appear to fallback for a period and then suspend - on some
cycle they return to initial Solicits (setting 'RD', retransmit delay,
back to zero and building back up).  I have not closely watched the
time delay characteristics of this cycle, but they appear to try
solicits for about 1.5 minutes every so often.  There are no
Information-Request messages in these bursts.  I don't know what
happens where O=0 and SLAAC completes (if the clients emit
Information-Request messages without RA-prompting or not).

I harbor a suspicion that these 'long cycles' are tied to some system
level process, something like Teredo, that probes the lower layer
system to ask if native IPv6 access has become available.  These
probes may cause the system to request configuration.  I don't have
any justification for this suspicion.

* To my embarrassment, we have not yet deployed IPv6 in our testing
  lab.  The lab was built at the last minute after a major catastrophe
  and I have not yet had time to redesign for IPv6 (we only use IPv6
  in production!).  It only needed to clone the failed systems, which
  at that time did not have DHCPv6 deployed (only IPv6 was).

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.