TCP connections on any IPv4 address

Hi guys,

I'd like my Linux system to accept all ingoing TCP connections for any
destination IP address on its single interface eth0. Roughly speaking,
my goal is to emulate the whole Internet. Currently, the system serves
as a brige between some LAN hosts and the Internet gateway.

I have two further requirements:
- the LAN host configuration may not change (currently, they have a
fixed gateway and default route to the Internet gateway)
- when simulating a connection, the original destination IP address
needs to be known

A first approach I made was creating an alias on eth0 for any
destination IP. However, this is impossible given the large amount of
possible IPv4 adresses.

A next approach would be using NAT (e.g. iptables) and rewriting all
target IP addresses to a single IP address. However, then the original
target IP adress would be lost when accepting the connection via a socket.

Do you have any ideas in mind you I could solve the situation? How to
transparent application-level proxies perform this task?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Chris