Re: slow tcp on 100mbps wan, strange tcp window behaviour on ubuntu 9.10

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 15:49 -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> If you use tcptrace to produce xplot graphs of sequence number,
> you get the attached result.  The upper line is the sequence number
> of the upper bound of the window.
>
> It shows the window for the sender is open but is not being used.
> This means the send window is not configured large enough on the sender.
> With current Linux kernels, you should not have to configure socket
> send buffers in the application.  It maybe that the application is
> using setsockopt to set send buffer space but not allowing for enough window.

Thank you for the tip. I also studied this graph (and others) before
posting. I thought the same thing in the beginning, so I tried setting
the settings in the /proc/sys/net/ipv4 region in the kernel. I tried
with iperf and netcat. I even set the window with the -w option to
1Mbyte in iperf (client and server), just to see if something would
change, but nothing did. Do you know another program that for sure does
not use this setsockopt for testing?

Thanks a lot for your time btw.

Cheers,
Andres