Re: slow tcp on 100mbps wan, strange tcp window behaviour on ubuntu 9.10

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 10:39 +0100, Roel van Meer wrote:
> Andres Meyer writes:
>
> > I have a strange problem when transmitting from my server to a client.
> > The server does not seem to honor the tcp window advertized from the
> > client, but only sends around 10kB worth of packets without being acked.
>
> If I understand you correctly here, then the client does not send any acks?

Thanks for the answer. The client does send acks, and it does it
absolutely correctly, in my opinion. This is why I was not researching
any more on the client. If you want to, you can look at the dump
mentioned with wireshark or tcptrace. There is absolutely nothing
special, apart from the fact that the server just does not send as many
packets as he should to fill the tcp window advertised from the client.

> > Transfer rates over the same interface to another GB LAN box shows ca
> > 870Mbps, but the tcpdump shows the same problem.
>
> If transfers work correctly to another client, my hunch would be it's a
> problem with the client. Do you have any shaping or firewalling there? Is
> your hardware functioning properly? No collisions or errors on the
> interface you're using? Do you have another server from which you can test
> a transfer to that particular client?

The hardware seems alright, and I think if we look at the dump,
everything seems to arrive correctly at the server. I did the same thing
with a different client, it also behaved correctly. I do not have any
shaping or firewalling there, but I do not think it would be relevant,
if you get the (supposedly) correct packets at the server anyway.

Cheers,
Andres