kernel hang while setting qdiscs (using tbf, netem, ifb, mirroring, vlans)

Hello,

I am experiencing an occasional kernel crash, or hang (endless loop of
some sort), when replacing the settings for some qdiscs on the fly.  I am
not seeing any "aie" or "oops" in /var/messages/log -- does this mean this
is not a crash but indeed a hang?

This is in the context of network simulation.  I am using the following
all in conjunction: VLANs, ifb devices, mirroring rules to get inbound
traffic sent to the ifb devices, some filters (obviously), and the netem &
tbf qdiscs.  I have not been able to pinpoint the problem down to a
perticular element in that combination, although the tbf and ifb +
mirroring seem to be involved in any problematic case.

I'm running on a pretty old kernel, fedora core 8: 2.6.23.1-42.fc8.  Yes,
it's really old.  FWIW, this machine only runs on an internal network.

===> Before just upgrading to a more recent kernel, I would like to know if
there were known issues, somewhere around that kernel version number,
about kernel crash/hangs caused triggered from setting certain
combinations of qdiscs. Most likely I would expect this to be somewhere
under net/sched.

Also, this may not be a linux-net specific question, but how do I
determine what would be a safe kernel version to upgrade to without
breaking any of the protocols from userspace to kernel space? (ex: ip, tc,
etc...)

Thanks in advance for any info.