Re: graphical bandwidth monitoring tool

Oliver Hookins wrote:
On Sun Apr 26, 2009 at 06:23:26 -0400, sting wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for a real-time graphical bandwidth plotting utility that
will run on Linux and X Window, although it doesn't matter if it uses a
widget API (gtk, etc) as long as I can still export the display to an X
Server such as Cygwin or Xming.  Since I need to export the display, the
app can't take the form of a control panel in a desktop environment
(kde/gnome/etc) or something like that.

<snip>
Hi Sting, this is a subject I've pondered for a while as well but sadly
other projects have come before it and postponed any serious work I was
going to do on it.

I did find one tool which appeared to do the job but I haven't investigated it thoroughly - http://etherape.sourceforge.net/ - if you are able to play around with it and keep me personally in the loop with your findings I'd be
very grateful as I'm looking for a solution to this same problem myself.

I had tried etherape and was impressed with it, but unless I've missed something major it didn't do what I was looking for. It will visually represent a snapshot of how much bandwidth is being used between end points (thickness of line between endpoints). But it doesn't seem to be able to simply graph bandwidth usage over time, unless I've missed an option (but there aren't many).