RE: [NEWSENDER] - Re: graphical bandwidth monitoring tool - Message is from an unknown sender

Etherape is a great tool for this!

Agim Cami

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-net-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-net-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Oliver Hookins
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 3:00 AM
To: sting
Cc: linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [NEWSENDER] - Re: graphical bandwidth monitoring tool - Message is from an unknown sender

On Sun Apr 26, 2009 at 06:23:26 -0400, sting wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am looking for a real-time graphical bandwidth plotting utility that
>will run on Linux and X Window, although it doesn't matter if it uses a
>widget API (gtk, etc) as long as I can still export the display to an X
>Server such as Cygwin or Xming.  Since I need to export the display, the
>app can't take the form of a control panel in a desktop environment
>(kde/gnome/etc) or something like that.
>
>I haven't been able to find one so far.
>
>My needs are really simple.  I just want to see a real-time graph of the
>bandwidth usage (Tx/Rx) on a single interface.  I need the graph to
>capture the last fews seconds/minutes/hours of activity, which means all
>the console applications that just display the current usage snapshot
>(iftop, bwm-ng, etc) won't do.  If it is able to recognize bandwidth usage
>for a specific IP-to-IP conversation and have one plotline per
>conversation, even better.
>
>I've searched around a fair amount.  Most applications I found are either
>console based or web-server based.  The console based ones usually only
>offer a current snapshot (no history) and the web ones aren't real-time,
>typically generating data that later gets compiled into a report.  I've
>also tried etherape thinking it might do this, but it doesn't.  bmon is
>the closest, but is text display.
>
>I've examined the applications on the following pages to not avail:
>   http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/nmtf/nmtf-tools.html#public
>   http://www.ubuntugeek.com/bandwidth-monitoring-tools-for-linux.html
>   http://www.ubuntugeek.com/bandwidth-monitoring-tools-for-ubuntu-users.html
>
>I hope I'm missing something!  Would appreciate any pointers to existing
>apps.  I might write one if there really isn't anything, but I just find
>it hard to believe.
>
>Thank you.
>
>P.S: wasn't if this question is meant for a list such as linux-net, but
>there must be several users of the various applications I've mentionned
>and perhaps someone has had the same need

Hi Sting, this is a subject I've pondered for a while as well but sadly
other projects have come before it and postponed any serious work I was
going to do on it.

I did find one tool which appeared to do the job but I haven't investigated
it thoroughly - http://etherape.sourceforge.net/ - if you are able to play
around with it and keep me personally in the loop with your findings I'd be
very grateful as I'm looking for a solution to this same problem myself.

--
Regards,
Oliver Hookins