Re: Wake-on-LAN with RTL8111b?

Hi!

Is this the onboard LAN ?
First check in BIOS the power related (wake) event settings.
The LAN can be hidden under:
 - LAN/WOL (this one is obvious)
 - PCI/PCE-E
 - PMI or similar...
 - you can try simply enabling all of them (note that some might wake the PC
immediately after you put it to sleep)

Also note that some mainboard do not support WOL after power loss (like my Asus P5K-E).

An important step is how do you put the PC to sleep.
Under Windows it is the NIC settings in Device Manager. Under the Power Management tab the
"Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby." option must be enabled.
Then if you shutdown using the Windows system shutdown, the PC should wake on magic packet.
Some PCs wake up only after a shutdown like described. If you just pull the plug, or reset and then
power off using the power button (before an OS is loaded) it will not work.

I haven't set up WOL under Linux for a while, that is why I mentioned Windows first.

Unfortunately WOL can be a nightmare to set up, especially on low end (read "not server grade")
equipment. On one MB of mine, it only started to work after using some DOS based NIC setup utility
found in some dark corner of the Internet.

Good luck !
;-)

Regards,
David