Re: Failed access to selected remote hosts

Bobby wrote:
On Monday 16 February 2009 13:27:21 you wrote:
I've suddenly become unable to access a selection of remote hosts from a
server. These appear to be machines I have been accessing frequently,
but not all frequently accessed machines are blocked.  The problem first
appeared Saturday night, and I've rebooted (even powered down) since.
What aspect of networking could cause this behavior?

For example, from server A I can access debian-multimedia.org but not
screwdriver.csua.berkeley.edu (a Debian mirror). From server B on the
same subnet I can access both:

You could be getting to the others through a 2nd network on the 2nd NIC.

I'd check cables and routers.

Thanks -- you were right, it was a bad router. We still don't understand how it could selectively refuse to route packets like that, but it was fixed on a router reboot.
Cheers,
Dave