Re: Configuring Linux + IPv6 when multihomed (Was: Question about proper IPv6 configuration)

<pendantic>
> [...]
</pendantic>

Ok, let me renumber (and reword).

I must be wrong with the English words i use. I doubt our company is registered as the address range owner (i think (legally) using some addresses would be more accurate than having).

My ISP have some address space (don't know how large actually).
I have the address space 2001:db8:100::/56 (mask is true)
My ISP gave me the extra (single) address 2001:db8:0:ffff::2 (lower than my address space) from their address space, and using 2001:db8:0:ffff::1 as gateway. This subnet is only /112 large (they gave me this netmask - should i use the word "address range" instead of subnet?).

> Also, if they are filtering that  address ask them how you are supposed
> to have fully functioning PathMTU discovery. Something is bound to break
> there.

RFCs are quite optional in Hungary... 60% of our dear ISPs are don't even know they are making PathMTU undiscoverable and even what is it for...

You need to use policy routing tables to fix that up, or...

Ok, i'll start reading

http://www.policyrouting.org/PolicyRoutingBook/ONLINE/CH09.web.html

Install OpenNTPd instead of the IMHO broken(*) ISC ntpd, in openntpd you
can specify "listen on 2001:db8::1" and "listen on 192.0.2.1" to specify
exactly which IP addresses to listen on. Problem solved.

Ok, then it was not only me who tought ISC ntpd is broken, i always tought i do something terrible...

Thank you, i'll try it out.

Same for software like Postfix etc. Not nice that you have to do it per
app, but that is the way it is.

Well actually postfix sits on a domU, so it has only a single global ipv6 address. Same with most of the services. Actually i had problem with ntpd only...

Zoltán Halassy