Re: Iptables handles 'ppp+' but tc doesn't

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Philip A. Prindeville a écrit :
Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Philip A. Prindeville a écrit :
What's the best (scripting) strategy to handle differences between iptables and tc? Iptables will take 'ppp+' as an interface name. Tc won't.

Why do you need a wildcard ?

Because of a couple of different issues.

One, we need backward compatibility with other plugins that currently use wildcards...

And two, on some ATM or SONET devices, we can have multiple PPPoA streams over the same interface, to multiple destinations, dynamically... and need to be able to have a single rule to enumerate them all (since this can be dozens of sessions).

Sorry, what you want to achieve is still unclear to me.

If you want to run a tc command with all existing PPP interfaces, you have to enumerate them first (e.g. by parsing the output of ifconfig or ip link, or the contents of /proc/net/dev) and to run a separate command for each interface.

If you want to run a tc command with each newly brought up PPP interface, you can add it to the /etc/ppp/ip-up script and use the $1 variable as the interface name ; alternatively, in distributions such as Debian which support it you can add a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ and use the $PPP_IFACE variable as the interface name.

So 'tc' can't support wildcards by the same mechanisms that iptables does?

-Philip