Default offload settings in Ethernet drivers

Hi!

A discussion recently took place on the power mailing list on the subject of the impact of (hardware-assisted) offload functions* on the power efficiency of the overall system.

The discussion was brought on by me noticing that not all drivers enable all of their offload features by default (case in point: r8169).

Although the discussion may not be complete, early indications are that:

1. Hardware-assisted offloads improve power efficiency unless implemented in a separate CPU (TOE / Total Offloading);

2. It would probably be a good idea to enable hardware-assisted offloads other than TOE by default given the above.

I would therefore like to sollicit views here:

1. Would changing default offload settings in Ethernet drivers help to save the planet?

2. Which offload settings does it make sense to enable by default?

*: see ethtool -k ethX for what I'm talking about, knowing that 'generic segmentation offload' is not hardware-assisted.

Thanks, Jan