Re: bond or bridge sniffing

what direction of the traffic are you trying to see.
if this is the egress traffic, then if you send directly
to one of the members of the bond, trying to capture on the
bond itself will not see the egress traffic, since the tap
(tcpdump egress) maybe set to get packet send on the bond (not
the case in the example you site).

think of it this way. Note the tap is not added to the netdev itself,
it contains the netdev it is for, this is just a conceptual view :-)

  nedev(bond)  <-- tcpdump tap here

  netdev(eth1)  <-- send packet here

    packet out

on the ingress side, this is a little different, the tap is placed
after the packet is received by the interface (eth1). when eth1 is
a member of a bond, the received netdev in the skb is replaced by
the bond. then the tcpdump tap can check if it is a packet received
by the bond, so it works. There use to be a problem with filtering
specific ingress packet per bond members, I believe the later has
been fix.