Re: Low Level Network Traffic Analyser

Marco,

If you can afford it, you should uses an Ixia traffic generator. (Also SmartBits makes a similar tool.) You can create all kinds of packets include ones with bad CRC and other problems with the format. You can force it to generate weird headers and other 'malformed' packets. This would allow much more testing than just correct packets, which it also can do.

Brad

Marco wrote:
Hi all,

I am new to this mailing list and hope it is the right place to place
my question. If not, I am thankful for suggestions where to place it
instead.

I have to connect to a phy using a FPGA. So far, the FPGA only
implements the Data Link Layer. On top of that, the data is just
looped back to the sending computer. I use a package generator tool to
send data.

Now I want to test if the implementation of the Data Link Layer
together with the loopback works correctly. Therefore I am searching a
tool to capture the traffic on the network card of the computer. I
want something to capture the outgoing and incoming traffic so that I
am able to compare these.

I thought of tcpdump but I am not sure if it is able to capture
traffic on such a low layer. Can tcpdump do that? If not, what other
tools could you recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance!

--
Best regards,