tc with htb and sfq affecting response times

Hi, I implemented traffic shaping using htb and sfq and it seems that when
they are enabled, ping response is affected quite severely. Latency goes up
a lot when any other traffic is going through the router that matches the
shaping filter, even if it is only half of the limited rate of htb.

So far I've tried removing the sfq qdisc but that resulted in quite severe
packet loss. Is there a way to ensure latency will still be low if the htb
limit is not being reached? Is my problem indicative of burst or other
parameters being set too conservatively?

--
Regards,
Oliver