Re: Common issues gathering local interface information...

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 02:31:31PM +0200, Kris van Rens wrote:
> Every time I have to implement such a routine I find myself wondering
> what interface will be 'the best'. The /proc filesystem? The sysfs
> filesystem? IOCTL's? NETLINK sockets?

I think the current epistemology might be to use HAL, which affords
the system integrator (or admin if it comes to that) an interface to
enter automation for peculiar hardware's 'quirks'.  It's a software
daemon-level catch for all these kinds of problems, but does become a
new dependency.

Or at least that's my understanding.

> However, SIOCGIFCONF does not return interface information of
> interfaces that have no IP-address, so this method was rejected due to
> the need for this capability.

ISC DHCP currently uses SIOCGIFHWADDR for this.

I still haven't found what I think to be satisfactory socket/packet
interfaces for the DHCPv4 problem, but that's a separate rant.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/