Re: Common issues gathering local interface information...

While there still are a few tools that want an IP address on an interface,
most (including tcpdump) are fine without one.

What may be happening is that the interface is down, but the tool you're
using to assign the interface also brings it up.

try: (substitute your interface for "eth3")

# ifconfig eth3 up
or
# ip link set eth3 up

(depending on whether you're used to using "ifconfig" or "ip")

Either of these commands will bring the interface up without assigning it
an IP address.  Tcpdump works fine for me in this fashion.

Regards,
Brad

Good luck or good manuals, which do you want?