legal issues REALTEK 8169 driver

Hi,
We are using a new SBC with 2 REALTEK 8169 chips on it.
We tried the latest kernel drivers, but ran into problems.
In average 1 out of 5 times that the system boots, the network won't come alive.
We think it is an initialisation problem.

We looked further on the net, and stumbled upon the Linux driver ( source code! ) on the REALTEK site.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
We tried it, and it solves the problem.
We also noted that an earlier version of this driver was merged into the linux kernel. ( 8.001 or so )

Now the legal issue.
in the REALTEK documentation (release_note.txt )is says :

driver version: 8.008.00
Modify the GPHY parameters for RTL8111C
release date: 2008/07/14
<snip>
7. This product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
US5,307,459, US5,434,872, US5,732,094, US6,570,884, US6,115,776, and US6,327,625.

But the code is GPL... as stated in the source.

Can we use this code in a commercial product without problems ?

--
Ing. Johan Visser
Stork Plastics Machinery B.V.

Stork Plastics Machinery B.V. Alfred Marshallstraat 2, 7559 SE Hengelo, the Netherlands.
Supplies and executions to the conditions and stipulations filed with the Chamber of Commerce (Trade register Enschede nr. 06041991) except as otherwise provided in writing.
DISCLAIMER:
The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking any action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Stork Plastics Machinery is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.
begin:vcard
fn:Johan Visser
n:Visser;Johan
org:Stork Plastics Machinery B.V.;software
adr:;;A. Marshallstraat 2;Hengelo;;7559 SE;Netherlands
email;internet:johan.visser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:++31 74 2405113
tel;fax:++31 74 2405009
tel;cell:++31 653731518