Bridge issue with KVM

Having beaten this to death in the kvm list, perhaps someone here can give me a clue. I am trying to run simple servers in kvm, using a host with a single NIC, a bridge which connects to the NIC, and then running a small server using KVM.

Everything works perfectly EXCEPT DHCP requests from the VM reach the bridge (I can tcpdump them on the host) but never go to the actual NIC to reach the DHCP server and be resolved. Since I started looking I have found related problems in the kvm list, the kernel list, and several discussion sites. I really don't want to "use static routing and forget it," because I want to set the MAC address as I start the VM and then let DHCP do everything else.

Is there some parameter I need to set on the bridge to make this happen? I did try setting it promiscuous without changing anything. Other broadcast packets get passed along, so I don't think it's some general problem, or perhaps I need a better tool to build the bridge than brctl?

Since I found other with the problem and only workarounds, I am trying here.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still