Problems with RealTek R8111B and Intel 83566DC NICs

I'm having a problem with both of the built-in NICs of my MSI X48
Platinum motherboard.  The docs at kernel.org seem to suggest this
list.  I hope this is the right list to post to.

I'm using Gentoo with kernel version 2.6.25-gentoo-r5, a 'genkernel'.

The NIC that seems to work at all is the RealTek.  It works fine after
booting, but if I do any significant amount of network traffic, the
NIC just seems to lockup. Restarting the net service doesn't help, and
rmmod'ing the module and insmod'ing it doesn't help either.

This post:
seems to suggest that the Linux driver (back in 2007) would
inadvertently switch the device off.  Are there still problems with
this driver?  Any suggestions as to how to diagnose the problem?

Alternatively, I can use the Intel 83566DC, but for the life of me, I
cannot figure out which kernel module supports this device.  Google
searches come up empty.  How can I figure out which module to use?

Thanks!

--
Timothy Normand Miller
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~millerti