PMTU Discovery - Does it work?

Linux 2.6.17 & Linux 2.6.20

I encountered a problem recently with a server that raised my awareness of Path MTU Discovery.

The
server was sending HTTP replies where the DNF flag bit of the IP
packets was set. A downstream  server/router returned an ICMP packet
"Fragmentation Required MTU=1300".  Initially the firewall was blocking
this ICMP message and the transaction failed since all the outbound
packets> 1300 were dropped. Opening up the firewall to pass the
ICMP packets back to the server resulted in no difference in behavior
and the transactions still failed.

Experimentation on another
Linux system showed a similar behavior. Just guessing I turned on
'tcp_mtu_probing'. This seemed to result in the 'correct' behavior of
the TCP stream. Once it received the ICMP message from downstream it
reduced the packet length to < the MTU. However it seemed to default
to a 562 byte MTU and not the 1300 as requested.

Another
experiment was to just turn ON 'ip_no_pmtu_disc'. This resulted in
outbound packets without the DNF flag set and the transactions worked
ok.

On both systems I checked tcp_mtu_probing was ON and
ip_no_pmtu_disc was OFF by default. It appears that in this case TCP
doesn't work correctly over the WAN?

In the interest of safety I
turned ON 'ip_no_pmtu_disc' on the web server. I believe this just
makes it work in the 'old fashioned' Internet way allowing routers to
fragment the packets on the fly.

Is this a real problem with the Linux network stack or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Snafu