network performance counters

I have a system, running Redhat's 2.6.9-67 kernel, using the bnx2
network driver, that shows packets dropped (RX-DRP) in netstat -i
output. I have upgraded the kernel to 2.6.25.3 and tomorrow in
production, I will find out whether the problem repeats itself. I
can't repeat the problem under a test load with either kernel.

In the past (with other drivers), I have noticed that these dropped
packet counters are used for a variety of errors instead of one error
type per counter. I have had to troubleshoot dropped packets by
modifying the driver to print syslog messages for the less-likely
causes, and increasing the counter for only one.

I notice that the bnx2 driver with 2.6.25.3 has many performance
counters (e.g. "rx_1024_to_1522_byte_packets"), but I can't find any
userspace tool or file in /proc that exposes them. How am I supposed
to get access to these?

Is there any documentation describing Linux network interface
performance counters? From how to save them for a driver writer, to
how to get them, or what each counter is supposed to mean? As a
sysadmin it is very useful for me to know if a packet was dropped
because of a bad CRC or a system that was under extreme load. For a
second I was excited that the driver seems to track a large number of
performance counters. But I can't figure out how to get them, nor can
I find any documentation on the topic.

Thanks!