Re: question about 3sec timeouts with tcp

On 04/01/2008 8:28:14 PM +0200, "H. Willstrand" <h.willstrand@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Gabriel Barazer <gabriel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/01/2008 7:17:31 PM +0200, Leo <neleo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
 > H. Willstrand wrote:
 >> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Gabriel Barazer <gabriel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >>
 >>> On 04/01/2008 4:43:20 PM +0200, Brett Paden <paden@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >>>  >> If I'm right Brett's problem relays in the test client (provided in
 >>>  >> the first mail). This has probably to do with the number of ports
 >>>  >> opened and closed during a short time period.
 >>>  >
 >>>  > My test client is designed to simulate the sort of load our
 >>> production
 >>>  > databases and web servers see.  We're talking on the order of 100-400
 >>>  > connections per second.  On an unloaded server the 3000ms occur right
 >>>  > around 400 connections a second but we have seen them a lower
 >>> connection
 >>>  > rates.  Are you suggesting that we could do something simple (like
 >>> reap
 >>>  > TIME_WAIT connections) to allevaite the problem?
 >>>
 >>>  Using tcp_tw_recycle / tcp_tw_reuse doesn't solve the problem either on
 >>>  the client nor on the server. I tested with and without these options
 >>>  enabled, disabled netfilter's connection tracking and none solved this
 >>>  delay. If even the "lo" interface is concerned, there is definitely
 >>>  something into the network stack and not the device drivers.
 >>>
 >>>  Here is a thread I started on LKML about this very same bug.
 >>>  http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/14/353
 >>>  There is a forum thread with french hosting providers talking about it.
 >>>  (if some of you read french:
 >>>  http://www.webmasterclub.fr/forum/topic,59486,0.html)
 >>>
 >>>  We are far from being alone!
 >>>
 > Welcome to the club, Gabriel!
 >>>  Gabriel

 How lucky I am!
 I suspect there are many other people having this problem out there,
 they just don't notice these delays on small infrastructures and because
 this bug doesn't actually cause a connection error, but "only" an
 unacceptable delay for moderate to high busy servers.

 >> Ok, seams to be the same issue that Leo has (has nothing to do with
 >> the Brett / Marlon issue, only common dominator is the 3000ms).
 >>
 > But Gabriel is also talking about 3 second timeouts on the client as
 > Brett and I did. I have read Gabriel's  description on the provided link
 > and it seems to be exactly the same problem. I think Brett can confirm
 > this ...
 >> This issue is probably caused by server delivering as miscalculated
 >> SYN/ACK (the acked number is miscalculated, see my second mail).
 >>
 > When you look at my first tcpdump with two machines as server and client
 > then you can see that there are no miscalculated SYN/ACK packets from
 > the server (and therefore no RST packet from the client). All packets
 > have the right number but the client never receives the SYN/ACK packet
 > from the server. Only at the lo test there are RST packets and wrong
 > packet numbers. But as I told you in my last email I think this is a
 > different problem and not important for us. We should ignore the lo test
 > and concentrate on the "real" problem of Brett, Gabriel and myself  (and
 > even a lot of other people out there).

 I confirm that there is no problem is the sequence numbers. Attached is
 the pcap compatible capture of the relevant packets (608 bytes, 6
 packets total: 2 for the failed handshake, 3 for the successful one and
 1 for the first mysql data packet). This capture has been filtered to
 show only the relevant packets and done in promiscuous mode.

I'm missing the tcpdump...

Sorry, I forgot to include it when reformatting my e-mail. Here it is!

Gabriel