Which TCP congestion control for very fast networks?

Hi,

we are running 2.6.23 (and might go to 2.6.24 soon), but are a bit puzzled which TCP congestion control to use in this set-up:

Say, we have three switches. Switches A and C are identical with 48 x 1 Gb/s ports and 4 x 10 Gb/s uplinks. Internally, ports 1-12, 13-24, 25-36 and 37-48 are directly mapped to the four uplinks. Switch B in the center has many 10 Gb/s ports joining these 8 links together.

The RTTs are quite small, ping shows me a maximum of about 100 us.

Scenario 1:

We are using 10 nodes on each port group on switch A and C, thus a total of 80. When we are now starting netperf with TCP_RR and large MTU sizes which is the best TCP congestion control mechanism to create a fair share for each node? In principle there should not be a bottle neck since it should "just" fit the pipes, however, the switches themselves insert probe packets to detect possible problems and these tiny packets might cause havoc from time to time.

Which is the "optimal" congestion control, if there is one. So far we have done some tests with Reno, BIC, CUBIC and a few others, however, the results are not really clear and we are lacking experience.

Scenario 2:
Now we are deliberately oversubscribing the switches A and C by putting 11, 12, 11, 10 lines to the four port groups[1]. Also, in this example we would like to use a congestion control which gives every computer a share close to what is fair. Anyone with hints, which could be the one?

Thanks for reading this long stuff and more thanks for pointers how to find an "optimal" solution.

Cheers

Carsten

[1] The reason for the 10 is simply that there is a file server connected to this port group and we don't want to oversubscribe that one. Apart from this there are 42 additional computers needed to be connected as well.