Re: Does IPv6 sendmsg work with IPv4-mapped addresses?

I am only using IPv4-mapped address because it is the "recommended" (?) way to specify an IPv4 destination address when using an IPv6 socket. By recommendation, I mean this is the way unix networking books/man pages/etc. describe the standard usage of a dual-stack socket (IPv6 socket supporting both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses).

Obviously, I am using an IPv6 socket to be efficient. Otherwise, I would simply bind IPv6 and an IPv4 sockets separately.

I understand there are security concerns with IPv4-mapped addresses. If there's a better way to send/receive IPv4 over IPv6 sockets (as well as send/receive IPv6) in linux, I'd love to learn about it.

Regards,

Chinh
--
http://www.certicom.com

YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明 wrote:
In article <47BC4505.9020105@xxxxxxxxxxxx> (at Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:19:33 -0500), Chinh Nguyen <cnguyen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> says:

Theoretically, I can specify the source address of the outgoing packet on an IPv6 socket by using sendmsg with IPV6_PKTINFO option enabled and in6_pktinfo. However, I cannot do this when the source address I specify is IPv4-mapped. The system still chooses the IPv4 source based on the routing table. Does linux IPv6 support IPv4-mapped addresses for sendmsg? Note I do not have trouble with the destination IPv4-mapped address in the destination sockaddr_in6 structure.

Sendmsg itself, yes, but IPV6_PKTINFO, no.
Semantics of ipv4-mapped address (in basic API) in that socket option
(in advanced API) is undefined.

If I have enabled IPV6_PKTINFO on an IPv6 socket, I would expect to receive both IPv6 and IPv4 local address (as IPv4-mapped address) info in an in6_pktinfo when using recvmsg. But I only receive data for IPv6 packets. To receive IPv4 local address info from an IPv4 incoming packet, I have to also enable IP_PKTINFO on the IPv6 socket. Furthermore, the data will be a regular IPv4 address in an in_pktinfo structure.

If you need "advanced" things, go native way.
And, well, I'd even strongly suggest not to use IPv4-mapped addresses
unless you have very very good reason.

--yoshfuji
-