Re: IP header alignment

From: "Vladimir Kondratiev" <vladimir.kondratiev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:32:12 +0200

> Thus, I believe, for IP stack it is wise to have IP header aligned by
> drivers. I warn once, so it do not flood system log with messages.

It is wise only on systems that need it, and most can (albeit
expensively) handle the unaligned access, so it is absolutely
not a requirement in those cases.

Look, the point still stands, this thing is going to crap into
people's kernel logs and that is not acceptable.

Furthermore, there are drivers that do alignment conditionally
based upon whether the platform can handle it transparently or
not.  They do this because fixing the alignment might result
in expensive copies.

So these drivers will always generate warnings, even though it
is entirely intentional.

This is just a bad idea, sorry.  And anyone who is truly interested in
this kind of work can add this as a temporary debugging patch to their
tree during development.
-