Configuration of IPv6 link local address

Hi all,

On a PC with Fedora 5 installed on it, eth0 is "automagically" assigned
a IPv6 link local address derived from its MAC address independently of
whether the link is physically up or not.

On a PC with Suse 10.1 installed on it, eth0 is not assigned a link
local address until the link is physically up, and the address is lost
when the link goes down. I'd like the link local address to be assigned
to the interface independently of link state on this machine like it
does with the Fedora machine.

I've modified /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf to comment out the INTERFACE
line, e.g.:

INTERFACES="eth0"

has been replaced by:

# INTERFACES="eth0"

and did a reboot since it seems that the interface configuration is
controlled by ifplugd, but this still results in no link local address
being assigned and attempts to ifup eth0 result in:

"Sorry, there is already an instance of ifplugd for eth0 running."

I've even tried killing the ifplugd process and then running ifup eth0.
That results in another instance of ifplugd being started and still no
link local address for eth0.

Any clues as to how I should go about making Suse behave like Fedora in
this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Haran
-