Re: Multiple unicast MACs on the same interface

> Are you sure your hardware will support this?
>
> Most of the MACs I've worked with will receive frames destined to a
> single station address and can be configured to hash the addresses of
> frames received with MAC multicast addresses and do a lookup of the
 hash
> in a bit table to determine whether to DMA the received frame in or
 not,
> but the multicast MAC address space is distinct from the singlecast MAC
> address space (least significant bit of first byte, IIRC).
>
> Jeff Haran
> Brocade

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your replay. I didn't realize that the issue is so complex.
So you basically trying to say that SIOCADDMULTI workaround/hack
still works (my kernel version is 2.6.22.3) but it's just a matter which card I have.

In my case during development I was using so far cheap RTL8168b/8111b but
will if it's required I will try to get better card then and run SIOCADDMULTI/UnicastMac
tests again. Since application is meat to work on server platform is it somehow possible
to detect if NIC will works with multiple unicast MACs, so that during complication
I could for example print a warning "your NIC is not support"?

Not sure why, but I was under false impression that if 802.1Q works on NIC
and it's possible to assign a different MAC per vlan - it will be also doable to assign
multiple unicast Mac - looks I was wrong;-)

Many Thanks,

--
Norman Baz