Re: zero-copy udp

Martin Hess wrote:

On Dec 3, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
. However, I'm fine with any unreliable message protocol that
routes by default through ipv4 routers.

Simplest and safest approach without other changes is
to use AF_PACKET and mmap.

I'm unclear how this gives me a routable IP4 packet. I'm having trouble finding
 documentation on AF_PACKET but it appears to be a raw packet interface.
So are you suggesting I implement UDP on top of it?

Yes, doing UDP in user space is trivial.
Also I'm unclear how this gets rid of the buffer copy between the kernel and user
space.

It hands you the data direct from the kernel in mmap ring.
By mmap I'm assuming you mean a memory mapped file. I'm unclear how that
helps.
You can access data directly from receive ring.

-