RE: Difference between BSD sockets and Linux sockets

Some other potential differences that come to mind. Don't quote me on
this, just going from memory.

The flags parameter to send() in linux has some bits that might not be
there in BSD (e.g. EPIPE).

On linux, the completion of connect()s on non-blocking sockets is
determined via the write_fds passed to select(). On some Unixi (can't
remember if it was BSD or System V), that was done via the read_fds.

The meaning of the SO_SNDBUF option seems to be different on linux than
it is on other sockets implementation. On linux, it seems to be the size
of the internal buffer used by the kernel to manage the send side of the
connection and includes both user data and internal kernel data used to
manage it whereas on other sockets its the amount of actual user data
that is buffered for transmission in the kernel. I posted a question
about this a couple of weeks ago to this list and never got a response.

Jeff Haran
Brocade
-