Power managment for Network drivers.

Hi All,
I implemented power management for my network driver.  As a part of my
stress test I did the power up and down using the Power management
interface in Linux while at the same time ping traffic was flowing.  But
I saw that after some time ping traffic from the PC to DUT stopped
flowing although power was up. But ping from DUT to PC was still
happening. To confirm its not a software issue what I did is I did the
same test with ifconfig eth0 up and ifconfig eth0 down on DUT instead of
power down and it ran properly.  Now the driver path for both power down
and ifconfig eth0 down is almost same except in power down I am turning
off the PHY power.  So is this problem because the ifconfig eth0 down
gracefully turns off the network interface after notifying to top
network layers like ICMP and other TCP and UDP layers while power down
path is not doing the same. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Hardik
-