DHCP vendor specific option

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is a correct forum to ask specific question
regarding DHCP, if it is not please forgive me.

We are running Linux 2.6.11 in our embedded system. The system has a few
network interfaces. Couple of these interfaces (not exposed to outside
network) are connected to other peripherals. These devices would obtain
their IP addresses through four embedded system through DHCP protocol.
For device monitoring and controlling, our system needs to distinguishes
between different DHCP requests from these devices.

So we need to have the DHCP vendor-specific option to be set by each
device, in order to recognize it. I have read bunch of RFC related to
DHCP vendor-specific option and have done some googling on this topic. I
am still a little vague on this subject. My main questions is which
option NUMBER should be set on DHCP request, discovery by vendor DHCP
packet. For example, option 60 ????

If anyone has any more idea on this subject I greatly appreciate your
hints and information.

Many thanks in advance,

Bizhan
-