linux bridge misbehavior

while setting up a bridge firewall on redhat rhel 4.2--kernel 2.6.9-42.ELsmp, It happened couple times that the bridge grabbed all ip addresses it can see on that network, after some investigation, I found out the problem may related to default route settings:

if I set up default route to the ip of bridge interface, then it works fine;

but if I set up the default route to that network's gateway, the network became down, and in arp table of the real router the MAC of the bridge has all the subnet ips map to it. Here is the config file:

   ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
   ifconfig vmnet1 0.0.0.0 up
   brctl addbr br0
   brctl addif br0 eth0
   brctl addif br0 vmnet1
   ifconfig br0 10.10.5.162 up
   route add default gw 10.10.5.162;

and if I run:
  route add default gw 10.10.5.1(the network gateway)

I got almost the whole network down, nobody can access the outside network except the bridge itself and hosts in the other side of the bridge.

Can somebody tell me what default gateway means in a bridged interface and what really happened to the interface.

Thanks,

Yan Xuan

SysAdmin
-