Re: incorrect source address for local TCP connections?

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 12:57:11PM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:36:03 +0200
> Frank van Maarseveen <frankvm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > eth0 has two addresses within the same network. Link scope route has a
> > src= specifying the first IP address. However, when doing a connect to
> > one of the IP addresses on eth0 from the machine itself (unbound socket)
> > the source address ends up identical to the destination address, not to
> > the src= in the route.
> >
> > Is this a feature or a bug?
>
> Feature, Linux addresses are associated with system not really with
> interfaces.

I don't understand: why is the secondary address "more" associated with
the system than the primary _and_ the src= one?

The result is that the identity of this machine as seen by services
connected to over TCP varies with the destination address of the connect
itself. It is for example no longer possible to transparently virtualize
services using additional IP addresses on an interface: the source
address suddenly varies.

I'm running >40 virtualized NFS servers but I cannot mount anything
originating from the same physical box due to this.

--
Frank
-