WAN optimizations with Linux

Hi,
 I'm researching for WAN optimizations with linux. My network is
 composed for MPLS network connecting 200 branches against a central
 site. I use Linux machines to provide security with IPSEC in the
 branches and in the central site. Now I'm lookup for techniques for
 optimization the link. My first ideas was use IPCOMP and proxy to
 cache traffic of HTTP applications. Somebody have any other idea to
 get better utilization of WAN links with Linux?

 I had seen commercial appliances that do dictionary compression and
 other cool things, but I don't want to use they.

 regards,
   diegows