Re: Network and Linux virtualization for development

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:29:51 +0300
"Samuel Korpi" <strontianite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Eduardo Pérez Ureta <edpeur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am going to start developing some code in the UDP/TCP/IPV4 stack
> > and I will probably have lots of crashes and lots of reboots.
> >
> > I am in need of a way to make a simple virtual scenario with two
> > virtual machines connected to each other to try my development.
> >
> > What virtualization Linux scheme and way to interconnect the machines
> > do you suggest to make development as easy as possible?
> >
> I have used UML, User Mode Linux (http://user-mode-linux.sf.net/), for
> similar purposes and found it quite useful. Also, it's included in the
> official 'vanilla' kernel branch, so you don't necessarily need to
> apply any extra patches to get the virtualization working. Simply
> configure and compile your guest kernels with ARCH=um. Further
> instructions can be found on the UML web page and there is also a
> fairly active mailing list to help you get started.

Werner also used UML for some interesting hacking see:
	http://umlsim.sourceforge.net/

The downside of UML is that isn't an "out of the box" easy to install
option on many distributions.

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-