NIC with msg signaled interrupts on a SMP machine

Hello,

I am having troubles to set up network interfaces on our machine to
properly use SMP Linux features. There are two Broadcom Nextreme II
ethernet NICs onboard a 2x dual-core CPU machine.

My kernel has SMP and Message-Signaled Interrupts (MSI) enabled. When I
boot with MSI enabled, I can see in /proc/interrupts that each of the
NICs got a unique interrupt assigned. But all traffic generated to the
1st NIC goes to the CPU#0, other CPUs show 0 processed interrupts in the
/proc/interrupts.

I tried to assign the interrupt to a specific CPU (single bit in
smp_affinity, tried each of the 4 CPU cores), with the same results;
althought smp_affinity said e.g. 4, everything was processed by CPU#0

When the machine booted with "pci=nomsi" kernel parameter, the NICs were
assigned a shared IO-APIC interrupt, but the intr processing was
properly distributed among CPU cores as requested by the affinity_mask.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for any advice,
-Svata
-